Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pardon My Absence

Hello my many followers... (cricket cricket)

Excuse my little joke. I know, I'm really just not that funny.
No, but seriously, you all have GOT to use your gmail accounts and follow my blog PLEASSEEE and thank you!

On to the real matters of business!
I have been super busy lately, ya know, on vacation and all, so I am sorry for no posts in like 2903 days!
I did get a second job though! Yay for me!

Oh and I actually am picking up my finished yellow desk tomorrow complete with handles and all!
It has been way too long of a process, since I took it home to my parents house to work on and that is a nice hour long trip and $10 in gas round trip, but anywho, the desk is complete and I cannot wait to post pictures!

I also cannot wait to post pictures for the awesome map project here! Let me be the very first to admit that my application method DID NOT work like planned. FIY: do not try to roll out any kind of paper onto any kind of glue thinking it will not wrinkle, IT WILL! Instead, Alan helped me spray the entire board, hold two ends down, then stretch the whole paper across the board and pull the other end down taut. Apparently it smooths itself out this way. Who knew?!
isn't she just huge!


Which leads me to my next point, instead of using cork-board rolls like the original plan here, I actually used an even CHEAPER means! I know. Crazy! I went into Hobby Lobby to buy my cork rolls, and they only had one roll of each different thickness they sell it in. I needed two of one kind. So, I had to rethink some things.

Solution? http://www.samflaxsouth.com/, well not the website but the store SamFlax! I took a maymester 3d sculpture class, and we had to invade the art store like 3 or 4 times a week and we used foam board for our projects. Long story short, they sell huge huge pieces of foam board for really cheap! The website doesn't say they sell it in individual sheets, but they do and I got a 4feet x8feet piece of foam board for $15!!! It is thicker than the cork would have been and it is in a single sheet so the map will be like an actual piece of art to rehang and rehang where ever I desire and the foam will be able to hold push-pins too for whenever I actually start to travel the world! (cricket cricket)
Huge 4x8 foot foam board from Sam Flax! They really only sell huge pieces like this at places like SamFlax or Utrecht.

So, here is another breakdown for this project.
  • I cut the foam board to size (4x6 feet) with my exacto knife.
  • I sprayed the whole board with my spray adhesive.
  • We lined up one side of the map to one side of the board then held that side down while stretching the rest of the map over to the other end of the board. This way it smoothed itself out.
  • Then we hung it up!
Simple as that!
This is my favorite spray adhesive, and what I used on this project. You can buy spray adhesive at any craft store.


So, here is the final product!



Again, excuse my camera phone pictures and frumpy sofa. It will be gone soon!
Now for the price break down again...


The Tally Up!

  • Cork rolls- $15 x 2 = $30 
  • Foam board- $15
  • Frame- $10 (will be)
  • Spray adhesive- already owned but you can get a can for about $8-$12 at your craft store.
Total- about $25

I will eventually get around to putting trim as a frame, but my projects tend to stretch out over long periods of time when I'm living on a budget!


But I was super excited to save even more money on this project. It just keeps getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment