Thursday, August 11, 2011

Small project with a LARGE impact!

If you didn't notice my new awesome HUGE map.... well then you might be blind!
This monster is 48x77inches of pure beauty!

Well....not yet.

But, I have a cheap project for this map that is going to make it pop off the wall and look just like a frame that would cost over $150 before shipping costs!!!

So, here is my solution.
We want to use this map as a pinboard for future vacations and getaways, so to protect the wall and give something to push pins into, I'll put cork behind the map.
You can find cork rolls at your local craft store for really cheap! For this project, I'll need two rolls of cork and I can cut them down to 77".  Next step, attach the map to the cork. Using spray adhesive, I'll spray the side of the cork I want to attach the map to. Smooth out the paper starting on one side of the map to prevent wrinkles. (You'll probably get some sort of wrinkling, but that's ok!)

Next step. Frame. We've already seen how expensive huge frames can be, so my answer is definitely trim. Hardware stores sell trim & moulding for really cheap. Some sells for less than $1 per foot! For my project I'm going to need 271 inches of wood or about 23 feet.
I'm looking for something similar to this piece of casing. I want something simple, but I also want it to have a little bit of shape. I think this piece will look good as a frame too because of it's thicker outer edge. At 23 feet, my huge huge frame will cost ... hmm.. 23feet x $0.41 = $9.43!

Isn't that outrageous!??
The people at the home improvement stores will cut the pieces for you at 45 degree angles for the corners. Just remember when measuring, that what you're framing is the inner rectangle of the trim, so you'll need to calculate the outer rectangle's length. They might be about to help you at the home improvement store as well. 

The Tally Up!
  • Cork rolls- $15 x 2 = $30 
  • Frame- $10 
  • Spray adhesive- already owned but you can get a can for about $8-$12 at your craft store.
Total- about $40 

So for about $40, I'll get a 48x77 frame for my beauty. Maybe I'll do this today and show you the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment