Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Yay!

I'm super excited to show off my new desk! (Finally!)


So, here she is!
LOVE IT!

Here was my process...

Of course, I started with the bare minimum...
My fab freebie!
 Next, with the help of my awesome daddy, we removed the old hardware and sanded the entire desk with a palm sander and 300 grit sand paper.

This next step got complicated. The old drawer pulls were attached with two screws on each handle. Big screws. My new hardware was not so big screws and the old holes were obviously in the wrong spots. The holes were so big that filling them with wood filler would have been silly, so my daddy helped me cut a wooden dowel into small pieces and glue them in the holes. Here's how.
  • We put a pieces of painters tape on the insides of the drawer faces, covering up the holes.
  • We put a drop of wood glue in the holes. The tape kept the glue from going through the hole and just dripping off.
  • We slid the dowel pieces into the holes and allowed the glue to dry them in place.
  • This way, we only had to use a small bit of wood filler to even out the surface.

Then I primed the whole thing.


**tip** when using a new roller, make sure to soak it in water first so that the loose fabric pieces don't get on your surface

So, after waiting and waiting on coats and coats to dry, I painted 4 thin, even coats on the desk (as noted from my favorite blog YHL).

Then added two coats of my Minwax Waterbased Polycrylic Protective Finish in satin clear, allowed to dry, then drilled new holes for the new hardware and installed.

And isn't she beautiful??


I did actually go back with the sander and distress the edges just a tiny bit.
I love it!
And all for about $100!
  • desk- free
  • pub table- free
  • pulls for desk- $44.88
  • quart of Kilz oil based primer- $7.00
  • Glidden latex paint in semi-gloss (yellow&red)- $20 ($10 per quart)
  • quart of Minwax Waterbased Polycrylic Protective Finish in satin clear- $17
  • rollers/brushes etc.- $10 (I had a few rollers already) 
      Total- about $100

I hope this can help for your future projects!



 Oh!     
I did just celebrate a birthday and check out one of my presents!!

LOVE!!!

She isn't home with me yet, but she will be delivered in a few weeks!
It is my beautiful Rowe Sullivan Sleeper sofa!

I originally loved this next model... in white of course...
       but Gibson wasn't so comfortable. Beautiful... but not too comfortable. Not for my main sofa.

I love my Sullivan, and cannot wait to meet her!!

No comments:

Post a Comment